Monday, 27 May 2013

Swirlydoo May sketch challenge

Gotta love the sketch challenge for May at Swirlydoos - 

Using the May kit I completed by page:

Each layer was distressed and inked with Vintage Photo Distress Ink.  The leaf flourishes were cut from a brown paper bag.  The circles were painted with Silk Acrylic Glaze - Bolivian Blue.

Thanks for looking

Wednesday, 22 May 2013

About A Boy May Challenge

So I stumbled across a site - About A Boy and thought I would have a go at their mid-month Challenge - White + one colour.

Here is my take on the challenge:

For the first time I took a couple of pictures as I went:

I started with a 12x12 piece of white cardstock and using a brick stencil I used vaseline to cover the stencil.  I then painted the entire cardstock in black paint:

Once the paint was dry I wiped off the vaseline and was left with the white brickwork.  Although I was going for a black and white theme it seems a little bright, so I added some crinkled tissue paper over the top with modpodge.

I made the tag using a 6x6 brick stencil and white distress stain on black cardstock. Once dry I went around the edges of the bricks with a white pen to highlight it more.  The ribbon I stamped with a brickwork stamp and wet and crinkled it to dry.

I made the clock with a die and the large gear is a Dusty Attic chipboard which I painted black and attached a piece of white cardstock behind.

While I was looking around the About a Boy blog I noticed they had a DT call.  Check it out:

Thanks for looking

Sunday, 19 May 2013


This months challenge with Scrap the Boys was:


and this is my entry

I started with white card stock and I used Texture magic and stenciled the brick walls, chicken wire and dots.  I then sprayed with glimmer mist - gundrop and walnut gold.  With distress ink - black soot I added the reverse chicken wire.  I then chose assorted embelishments which i glued onto the page and covered the gesso (about 4 times to get complete coverage).  I then sprayed these with the glimmer mists, some black and then painted some distress stain - tarnished brass over the top and randomly around the page.  I inked the edges with Distress Ink - walnut Stain and added a metal worded tag "possibility begins with imagination.

Thanks for looking and dont forget to pop over to and see the other entries.

Tuesday, 14 May 2013


We were given the following sketch to create a layout using the April Kit:

and here is my take

and a couple of close ups: